“The empowered woman is powerful beyond measure and beautiful beyond description”
The need of the hour is women empowerment and one has to reflect and resolve its obstacles from grass root level. It is crucial to resolve the problems from the root and eradicate it before the matter gets difficult to control. The religious customs and beliefs followed by the people make them unfair towards women or girl child. It is crucial that we wake up and take responsibility for these issues as the number of headlines related to rape, abduction and killing of girl child after sex. Increasing number of suicide and death of women ,preventing them from education and other such factors which eventually affect the people in the country in a long-run. Women empowerment is granting the freedom to make the required life choices for themselves. Patriarchal society in most countries has been the main reason for discrimination against women in most of the countries all over the world. Preventing woman from the rights that they deserve will bring down the status of a country in future.
A women should have the freedom to share and express her opinion. Individual empowerment can be conquered by giving self-confidence and right decisions. Hence, it is essential that women should be aware of their rights and social positions.
Education plays a significant role in social, economic and political areas where gender equality should be given more preference compared to the present condition. Women participation should be encouraged in politics concerning the decision-making process. The laws passed to support women empowerment are as follows:
● Article 14 — Equality.
● Article 16(2)- Equal Opportunities.
● Article 23 — Prohibition of human trafficking and forced labor.
● Article 39(a) — Both men and women equally have the right to sufficient means of livelihood.
● Article 40(after the 73rd Amendment) — Reservation of 1/3rd seats in Gram panchayats for women.
● Article 42 — Better working conditions for women and sufficient maternity leave.
● Article 51A(e) — One of the duties of every citizen is to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women.
Although the government has introduced different initiatives to empower women in India, women are taken for granted at various levels in different areas .In social , political and economic gatherings there has been noticeable discrimination when it comes to women participation. Only a certain member of women are seen working in such scenario ,and this number has to increase now and should be equal to men.
Education of women has been a crucial topic for discussion for a long time and many times government has played a significant role in making it better. Even after pressing efforts, it has
been observed that the overall rate of literacy in men is more compared to women during the census calculated every year.
So, there is a need for reducing poverty, eliminating violence against women and initiating equality education .Apart from this, it is essential to spread awareness among women to self-empower themselves. It can bring a substantial positive change in a very limited period.
● Abortion of female infants is one of the most common and disturbing issues practiced for a long time in India.
● Sexual harassment of girl child has made headlines many times, on different mediums and social media.
● Dowry is another problem which has been resolved to a greater extent in India, but it still exists in many parts of the country.
● Domestic violence affects 70% of Indian women, and it negatively affects their life. It is usually practiced by their husbands and family members or relatives.
● Lack of nutritious food to girl during her childhood, which affects women in their future and has prolonged consequences which can drastically change their health.
● There are cases where women are ill-treated and given low status in the family.
● There is no respect for widows in some parts of her nation, and they are considered worthless. It is a classic example of inequality between men and women, as men are treated well in every situation.
Apart from the contribution from the government, it is necessary to change the perception of the society towards such sensitive issues to lessen the unwanted burden and responsibility for women.
There are various issues like social norms, status and family structure which creates a problem for women empowerment in India. The primary question arises right from the birth of a child, as more preference is given to a son over the birth of a girl child. It has been observed that the society is more biased towards a male child at every stage of life compared to female child .Several challenges are coming up and focusing on these problems can bring hope for a better change in this area.
Here are few difficulties faced by the government while resolving women empowerment:
● Education: If we judge this situation based on facts , then according to recent census, 82% adult men are educated ,whereas the literacy rate for adult women is only 65% in India. So it is one of the areas which need primary focus.
● Poverty: This is also one of the problems faced by women. Due to poverty so many girls are not able to study.
● Health and Safety: Healthcare facilities and women safety have been a question for an extended period. It’s high time that we take this challenge seriously to make the world a better place for women.
Women empowerment is all about giving them the power to take their own decisions and letting them lead an independent life. Apart from this it also uplifts their contribution towards the society and equal importance in every point of life and the community. Women empowerment is undoubtedly the ultimate solution to most of the problems faced by the developing countries.
“There is no development more effective than the empowerment of women”